like us on social

Financial Help

When is this year’s open enrollment period?

To make sure you have health insurance for 2023, you have to enroll between November 1st, 2022 and January 15, 2023. If you miss the deadline, you could be locked out of health insurance until 2024 AND forced to pay 100% of your medical bills. It’s not worth the risk, especially when financial help is available: last year, 4 out of 5 customers could find a plan with a monthly premium of $10 or less thanks to the American Rescue Plan Act.

Do I qualify for financial help?

You might – most people do. The amount of financial help depends on your income. You may qualify for financial help if your annual income is between about $13,000 and $54,000 (or more based on the number of people in your family). In fact, nearly 9 out of 10 people who enroll through qualify for financial help, and 4 of 5 people are able to find a plan with a monthly premium of $10 or less. Learn if your income level qualifies you for savings here.

If you qualify, you will receive a tax credit that lowers the amount that you pay for insurance each month. Depending on your income, you may also qualify for cost-sharing reductions that lower the amount you pay in co-pays, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket costs. Learn whether you might qualify for financial help using this quick calculator.

Can I include my child when I apply for financial help?

Yes, if you claim your child on your federal taxes, you should list them on your Marketplace application, regardless of your legal relationship with the child.

Before you enroll, it is important to make sure the plan you pick covers you and your child together. This will depend on how the plan defines a “family.” You can usually find this information by looking at the “Evidence of Coverage” or the “Certificate of Coverage,” which is the full explanation of what is covered or excluded under each plan. If this information is not available, you may need to call the insurers in your state to see what type of coverage is available.

If you cannot find a plan that covers both you and your child, you may be able to enroll yourself and your child individually or check if your child is eligible for your state’s Medicaid program or Children’s Health Insurance Program. After you fill out your application, you’ll be told whether your child qualifies and notified by your state.

We encourage you to take advantage of free help (either in-person or by phone) from a trained assister to help you consider your options.

like us on social